Home > Kenya, Kisii, rain > Kenya Trip May 2009 Part 7

Kenya Trip May 2009 Part 7

26/05/09 Tuesday
Last night, it rained as usual, but I was the only adult in the house and it fell to me to put out buckets and bowls to collect the precious rainwater from the gutters. I had seen Vincent do this so was pretty confident in what I was doing, staying under the eaves to get to the furthest collection point. Wrong. The “path” under the eaves was so slippery I nearly took a tumble, so I abandoned all convention and took the safe path in the rain, much to the amusement of Benta, who was helping me.

I had the buckets placed and was pleased with myself, until Benta pointed out that the furthest bucket was already full. So I had to make another trip through the rain to replace it and empty the full bucket into the 100 litre storage barrel. This went on for about 20 minutes during which time I collected over 75 litres of water.

If rainwater is not available, water is collected from a borehole about 400 metres from the house down a very steep path, a trip I would not fancy with two full 25 litre containers.


At the time or writing, I have no great plans for today other than to arrange my passage from SW Kenya to the coast next week. When I was here last year, I saw that there was a coach service that ran directly to Malindi, which would suit me well, especially if it doesn’t go through Nairobi.


Not having found seed trays in the town or markets, I am going to improvise (I hope) by cutting a plastic water bottle in half lengthwise and punching drain holes in the bottom.

I have a packet of cauliflower seeds and Vincent and Abigael have a small vegetable plot adjacent to the house to put them in when they are mature enough to move.

It is raining this morning, not the torrential tropical rain that we have most afternoons, but a fine English autumnal drizzle, almost too fine to feel. There is no real sign of a break in the cloud and I wonder if I am going to experience a British summer day in Kisii!

Vincent and Abigael are taking Benta and Josephat to their schools and left me with their two little ones. This is the first time I have had to look after them without Benta’s help. These little girls do not speak English, although they understand a few words like “STOP”, “DON’T”, but take very little notice of me.


It rained again this afternoon and I spent most of the day working on updating the Twiga kids’ records, and the website.

Categories: Kenya, Kisii, rain
  1. May 26, 2009 at 18:34

    Wow, I’ve just discovered this gem of a blog! Great stuff you are doing and with some wonderful people. I’m hooked!

  2. glo
    May 26, 2009 at 21:25

    it sounds like it rains everyday in Kisii. Oh well, hope u are having a fantastic time and looking forward to your next post.

  3. May 27, 2009 at 08:06

    @Tamaku. Thanks. I am enjoying myself here, but then I always do. People are so welcoming.@Glo. This is the rainy season, which in Kisii means it rains a bit more than usual, but it is quite a moist corner of Kenya. Being 5,700 ft it is quite an important area tha supplies water to a large area. It also means just about anything will grow here, all year round.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: