Relating to my previous post about my new acquisition, I have worked out the fuel consumption.
I have only put 30 litres in the car so far, and have done mainly short trips, but so far, it is returning about 49.6 mpg.
I am very pleased with this result, with petrol hitting £129.90 per litre.
I have given the little Peugeot (see previous post) a good look over. I have driven it and I like it.
I will be sorry to let the Scoobie go, but it is, in all honesty a bit too small for my needs, and the non-standard exhaust would suit someone 40 years younger than me – it is loud.
The only problem with the Pug is that it misfires when cold, when accelerating or when the engine is under load such as going uphill.
So I changed the spark plugs – when I eventually found them, hidden as they are at the rear of the transverse engine and under the coil pack.
This is the first petrol engine I have worked on that does not have a coil, distributor and individual HT leads to each plug. The coil pack sits on top of the spark plugs and is connected to all of them rigidly.
Working with a wrist that was until recently, broken, and torn tendons in both shoulders does not make bending over the small and low engine compartment any easier, but as the last new plug went in, I got a sense of satisfaction. IT was short-lived as the engine still misfires. So it has to be the coil pack.
At least I now know what it is and how to get it off the car!